Sunday, June 5, 2011

Saturday, June 5th, 1976

IT.

I went to Kroger's with Mom and Dad to get a bunch of stuff for the week. We saw Miss Eplan leaving but she didn't see us.

I watched WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? today mainly to see Groucho's cameo but it was at the very end so I ended up getting to see a really, really funny movie, too!

Probably going to go to King's Island tomorrow.

I helped quite a bit in the yard today. As much as I hate to admit it, I think it's true what they say about Spring.

I reopened my Famous Females scrapbook today while I listened to Liza records.

I got a money order and ordered STAR*REACH # 4, too.

NOTES: Miss Eplan--I never knew her first name--had been my babysitter/nanny as a child...twice. When my mother went back to work when I was 3, I was left in the care of our landlady. When we moved soon afterwards, we needed someone else to watch me and they interviewed a number of folks before coming up with Miss Eplan. I believe she was mentally what was then called "slow." She was probably in her late twenties but seemed much older to me and she was, as I know now, of mixed race. She was calm and quiet but stern when she needed to be. She left our employ at one point to be replaced by a teenage girl who reportedly stole my Mom's jewelry. We went to Miss Eplan's house and asked her to return which she did for another year or so. Every once in a while after that, we would run into her around town and she would always remark about how big I had grown. This time may have been one of the last times we saw her...but she didn't see us. Sad.

My Famous Females scrapbook was just that. I would clip pics of Raquel and Liza and other favorites from movie mags and paste them in a scrapbook.

WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? is an absolutely delightful late fifties movie comedy starring Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield. Oddly enough, it has little in common with the hit Broadway play of the same name other than Mansfield's Marilyn parody character. If you haven't seen it, don't watch it for Groucho's throwaway cameo like i did. Watch it because it's a great film!

No comments:

Post a Comment