Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday, May 14th, 1976


Finally, we got a little rain.

Twelve school days left! Just another week left for Seniors. My lock worked fine today.

Today I finally won at Mil Kilometros! Then I got to finish the test while the rest of the class joined in on another card game. Something really dumb.

Algebra was really good for a change. Vernon took over and the place became a funhouse. He loves being in the limelight and can be a very funny comedian when something restrains him a little---like an ever-present teacher. I really cracked up! Ha, ha, ha!

That stupid TANK bus passed us right up after school so I didn't get home until after 4 again!

Tonight I saw "the Paradise Syndrome" on STAR TREK again.

NOTES: Is it just me or does it seem as though I'm starting to enjoy school more and more as the days dwindle down to a precious few?

Apparently this "Mil Kilometros" was the "Spanish Game" i had referred to before on here. Must have been something regular but I have absolutely no memory of it.

As far as STAR TREK goes, "The Paradise Syndrome" remains one of my favorite episodes. Even today I will rarely pass up a chance to watch any one of the original series episodes. They look surprisingly innocent, cheap and more than a little silly in the wake of all of the franchise's own high tech sequels and reboots but the originals still pack a punch that none of the others have. When my wife and I got married (20 years ago next month!) we nearly missed our own reception when we realized there was a STAR TREK marathon on hosted by William Shatner. Videos of the early part of the reception show our family members looking at their watches as she and I sat through a couple of episodes before heading over! ;)

3 comments:

  1. "Mil Kilometros" might be a Spanish-rules version of "Mille Bornes" (aka "Touring", way back when)? Card game, rack up miles, stop for gas, repair flat tire, etc...we always enjoyed playing it when we were kids. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Bornes

    I still love catching the classic Star Treks, because our family never had a color tv...we're talking up into the 1980's! There's a whole bunch of shows that show up on TV and I'll just HAVE TO WATCH, only because it's the first time I've ever seen them in color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. > They look surprisingly innocent, cheap and more than a
    >little silly in the wake of all of the franchise's own
    >high tech sequels

    Have you seen the enhanced versions? I had no idea about these until I started watching the original series with my son on Netflix. I'm watching the shots of outer space and the Enterprise and I'm thinking, "Wow, this looks a lot better than I remember. They must have spent a fortune for these effects back then." Then I read they "enhanced" the original series by replacing the effects a few years back. Not sure how I feel about that. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe I've seen any of the enhances episodes. Part of me is against the idea simply because I firm;y believe that eventually you just need to pronounce a project as DONE and move on. Otherwise, I know I'd tinker with my own writing forever.

    ReplyDelete