Monday, February 28, 2011

Saturday, February 28th, 1976


Didn't get myself a thing over the river. They've moved some of the things I'm trying to avoid getting. Maybe after today that'll make things easier. This could be the beginning of the end. My depression felt a little better today even. Temptation might be on its way out.

I had a most enjoyable afternoon watching NO DEPOSIT, NO RETURN uptown here.

Tomorrow I'm going to write Don Rosa for all the information about Omnicon. That'll be the first step toward going.

I got a a suspicion today that the Yellow Kid might not be closed after all. I'll find out soon I suppose.

The Grammy Awards were on tonight. The right people never win on that show!

NOTES: First of all the Yellow Kid really was closed. I was just in denial. I was also in denial that I could beat hormonal temptation.

Don Rosa was my favorite fan writer so it was a big deal for me to be writing him. Eventually, as he became a pro, I would write him again about doing an autographing at my bookstore. He graciously and humbly turned me down. This was before he became literally an international sensation as the modern "good duck artist" for Disney. He's done probably thousands of signings since. I've run into him a few times over the years and even got an original Scrooge McDuck drawing from him.

NO DEPOSIT, NO RETURN was a fun but inconsequential live-action Disney caper film starring David Niven, Don Knotts and current TV "housewife" Kim Richards. In a smaller role as Niven's chauffeur is former McHALE'S NAVY co-star Bob Hastings with whom I would later become friends through old-time radio circles. We've performed onstage together dozens of times in the past twenty years. Once I asked him what it was like working with Niven on that film. He told me that it was great and that the veteran star would love to "hold court" and tell his marvelous anecdotes and stories. He added that most of the work had to be done in the morning as Niven was often tippling a bit and as the day progressed it became harder to get him to do anything BUT tell stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment