Sunday, February 13, 2011

Friday, February 13th, 1976


My lucky day. Well, actually it was just another average day, neither good nor bad. We had a pep rally at school and I actually found myself applauding at certain things.

I keep trying to lose interest in girls and yet I seem to keep showing MORE publicly. IT happened again tonight. I'm gradually becoming more casual about sex. It seems to mean more to me lately even as I try not to think about it at all. Weird.

I heard yesterday that Lee J. Cobb had died and now I hear that Sal Mineo was brutally murdered! It made the POST headlines.

I ordered SWEET HOSTAGE and the Eisner book from school.

As far as my TBG clipping project, I've already gotten more than I expected to get. I'm putting them into a box.

I really can't imagine what I'll do when I get out of school but at the same time I really can't wait to get out. I hate this. I used to love school. Now I just really can't wait to get away from all these freaky people and ridiculous forced "fun" like Spirit Week and pep rallies and such. I'd estimate there's only about fifty people I like at that school and probably only about ten of them like me. If that. I got a raw deal somewhere. There was a time when I was as involved as the next guy but that was before CJH, which I hear now is going to close already! Oh, well.

Like I keep saying, I'm different. I just don't fit. Surely life must have a place for me somewhere.

NOTES: Lots more teenage angst in spite of the fact that I oddly thought of this as a "lucky" day.

Looks like I did order that Eisner book. I don't recall ever getting it however. Let's see if it shows up.

Lee J. Cobb was a brilliantly gruff actor with a long history of great performances including TWELVE ANGRY MEN, TV's THE VIRGINIAN and more recently, THE EXORCIST where he played an oddly Columbo-like detective. He died of a heart attack this week in 1976. By contrast, Sal Mineo, an actor I liked but knew mostly from television, had been stabbed to death the day before. His assailant would be caught later in the year. Later, this murder would be tied to Christa Helm's murder a year later by early investigators but that would prove to be a false lead in what remains an unsolved case.


No comments:

Post a Comment